Thursday, February 11, 2010

It begins

After days of stalking the mailman, the letter finally came. A large, yellow envelope with "K-State" on the return address. I'm in!!!!!

I won't hear back from Western for another month or so, and should hear back from Wisconsin in a week or two.

I'll just flat out say it. I'm not as excited as I should be. When I interviewed at Kansas, it was like 3 below zero, the town was disappointing, I missed the tour of the school, and I just didn't like it there. The thought of having to live there for 4 years is a bit of a downer.

When I interviewed at Western U, I had the opposite reaction. I fell in love with the school, and the area around it. When I was reading online, I was warned about how terrible Pomona was, but after driving around in it, it didn't seem bad. I was expecting something like the bad part of Denver, or Oakland or something, but it seemed fine. It was snowing at home when I left for the interview, and I got there, and it was pouring rain and 60 degrees. It was beautiful. Everything was so green! At the interview, all of the students and faculty were so enthusiastic, and I thought that their problem-based-learning curriculum would be an amazing fit for me.

So, I get to wait a month to hear back from them. I think I'll be pretty crushed if I don't get it, but even if I don't, I've already gotten into one other school. The important thing is, in four years, I'm going to be a veterinarian!!!

Monday, February 8, 2010

Starting in the middle

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I thought I would start a blog about getting through vet school. Why is that overly optimistic? I haven't been accepted anywhere yet.

I applied to 7 schools back in October. I was rejected pretty quickly from CSU, my in-state school, OSU, WSU, and I've never heard back from Penn one way or another, even though I'm pretty sure they've sent out all of their interview invitations, and I've got a snowball's chance in hell there.

That leaves me with the three possibilities that haven't blown me off - KSU, Western U and UW-Madison. I've interviewed at the first two, and UW-Madison doesn't interview students. Now I'm just stuck in limbo, waiting to hear from these three, hoping that one of them finds me suitable for their school.

Of the two schools I've interviewed at, I loved one, and the area its located in, and was impressed with the other, and hated the area its in. I'm almost afraid if I say which was which, I'll jinx myself and end up at the one I hated.

I'll start this blog off optimistically, three possibilities, and hope that future blog entries are about my journey to a new area, and through 4 years of vet school. Hopefully I won't have to write about re-applying next year.