Monday, June 25, 2012

My home state is a tinderbox

It's not going to be a good summer for Colorado.  Right now, there are 7 or 8 wildfires raging in different areas of the state.  One of the wildfires is right up against my hometown.  They evacuated the entire city of Manitou Springs over the weekend, and they've evacuated some of the ritzier neighborhoods closer to the mountains.

 A view of the fire from my undergrad, UCCS.

 A picture of Garden of the Gods that breaks my heart


Up close.  

So it appears that the fire's almost 4,000 acres, 0% contained, and it's been in the high 90's and 100's with no sign of rain. I'm probably not going to be able to make it back to Colorado at all this summer, and probably won't be back until December.  Seeing a big black scar on the side of the mountain is going to be a kick in the stomach.  

No comments:

Post a Comment