Thursday, November 15, 2012

Reason #472 why I can't wait to get out of Pomona

A couple nights ago, Tyler and I were watching TV.  It was somewhere between midnight and 1pm.  I hear a knock on the door.  Assuming it's one of our neighbors, I answer it.  It's this overweight, homeless looking woman.  At this point, my demeanor changes from being worried that one of my friends needed something to being annoyed that a stranger thinks its ok to knock on my door in the middle of the night.  I let out a surly "what do you want?" She asks for money for a cab.  I turn her down.  She asks to borrow a lighter.  I give her one that keeps breaking on me, and tell her to keep it.  I lock the door, she leaves.  That's the end of that, right?

Of course not.  This morning, I hear pounding on my door.  It's 6:40 am.  I'm a night owl, not a morning person.  Once again, I think it may be my next door neighbor, or somebody who's representing the landlord (since I knew they were coming out to make some repairs on her half of the duplex today.) Nope!  It's the crazy homeless woman again.  I yelled at her.  "What the hell do you think you're doing, waking me up this early? How is that ok?" She said she needed me to call 911 for her.  She was feeling suicidal.  I called.  They made me ask her questions, like if she had made an attempt, or had a plan.  She said she swallowed "some pills" the day before, and was still suicidal.  Personally, I don't think she was.  I think it was cold, she was homeless, and she wanted to be baker acted and go to a nice, warm hospital.  Anyway, I'm stuck sitting on my front porch asking her questions and repeating the answers to the 911 dispatcher in my jammies until the ambulance (then firetruck, then two police cars) show up. They didn't seem too worried about her either.

I know I have a problem with stray cats showing up on my porch, but I am NOT ok with stray people showing up.  I hope like hell this doesn't become a trend.  This shit never happened in Colorado.

No comments:

Post a Comment