Thursday, May 13, 2010

Undergrad winds down, and my summer starts to wind up

The last couple weeks have been frantic, but my semester's finally winding down. I took two finals already this week, and have one more easy one tomorrow, then I am officially done with undergrad! So as of tomorrow afternoon (or more officially, when all my grades post,) I will have a B.S. in Organismic Biology! (Or, as I told my dad, I will be officially full of BS.)

I sold my hearse. It broke my heart to have to do it, but I know there's no way I could get it to California with me, and I needed the money from it to pay bills. It went to my old friend John from the band Try Redemption, and he's already put more work into it in the past month than I've been able to do in the last 4 years of owning it. I had a bunch of people interested in it, but I ended up screening who could buy it like I would if I was re-homing a dog. I love that car, and I didn't want it to go to somebody who would let it rust, or turn it into a Mad Max car. I'm determined when I graduate, that I will buy another '67 hearse, and probably a matching '67 ambulance.

I was terrified that I was going to fail biochem, and have my acceptance to vet school revoked. It was pretty much at the point where if I got the minimum points to get a C, I'd be happy. Well, our teacher worked quickly to grade our final exams, and I got a B! I did not see that one coming! I'm still waiting to hear what I got on my physiology final, but I'm not freaking out about that class.

At the beginning of the semester, I was talking to my husband about wanting to have a big graduation/going away party. Now that the time is here, and I have to pack, fix up the house, and move, it just seems like throwing a party is just another obligation to have to deal with. I think I'll just celebrate quietly and alone by making a couple caramel appletinis tomorrow after my last final.

My MIL has been making a big deal about wanting to throw a party for me. Which sounds sweet if you're on the outside looking in, but when you're the one she's targeting, its not so sweet. Between me and the hubby, we've had to tell her "no" at least 15 times, and she's still pestering about it. Why would I want to celebrate this achievement with a manipulative, passive aggressive religious zealot? The last thing I want to do is cheapen my degree by celebrating with somebody who thinks the world is 6,000 years old, or that angels returned her lost costco card, or who compares me getting my DVM to her dad having an honorary doctorate from some bible college (and who has the gall to use Dr. in front of his name for an honorary degree!) I've told the hubby that I will not see her again before we move, as since she does not take a polite "no" for an answer, I cannot trust her not to try to spring a surprise party on me.

In less bitchier news, my mom got me a badass canon SX120 for a graduation present, so once again, I can take pictures! My old digital camera bit the dust when some batteries leaked in the camera, and the camera on my phone doesn't really work inside in artificial lighting, so I'm excited about having a real camera with a flash.

I still haven't found a place to live out in Pomona. I've been scouring craigslist and the student housing website, and I'm starting to get nervous about not having a place lined up, or a moving day set in stone. But I have 2 1/2 months before vet school starts, and I'm sure something will pop up. But keep your fingers crossed for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment