Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Looking for cars sucks

I've been trolling craigslist looking for a new car - basically, I'm fed up with having to share my car with Tyler, so I thought I'd look for a 2nd car for him to drive.  I was pretty much looking for something under 5k, not white, either a sedan, coupe or hatchback, and relatively new and unlikely to break down.  Basically looking at 10 year old Volvos, Toyotas, Hondas and Subarus.  Every one I looked at, I felt pretty "meh" about.  Sure, they'd be practical, but something about buying something that expensive that I don't love makes me feel like a schmuck.  Kind of like I felt by having to sell my '67 caddy hearse in order to buy a "practical" pontiac vibe.  Selling my hearse killed me a little bit inside, and here it is 2 years later, and there's still a cadillac shaped hole in my heart.

Well, I know there's no way in hell I could buy another hearse while I'm out here (I don't think they'd appreciate it too much if I showed up to rotations in a hearse,) and ambulances of the same era are much harder to find, and tend to not be running.

So I found this car instead.

1960 cadillac 4-door.  Tail fins.  Flat black.  Only $5700.  Not new, not practical, but makes me squee harder than any car has in a long time.  I kept coming up with reasons why I could justify buying it, even though it'll break all the time, be really hot to ride in, get shitty milage, and generally be the kind of pain-in-the-ass that only classic cars can acheive.  Then Tyler had to shit on my parade, and bitch about how it'd get stolen in our neighborhood, how it'd be hard to get back to Colorado in 2 years, blah blah blah.

So now every other car I've looked at absolutely sucks in comparison, and I've lost all motivation to find something.  At this point, I'm tempted to just take my stupid Pontiac Vibe back from him, and tell him to ride his broken 80's Mongoose bicycle to work.  How's that for impractical?

No comments:

Post a Comment