Saturday, February 2, 2013

Halfway though small animal block

I just finished up my second rotation at a Banfield.  Last Banfield I'll ever have to be in.  It was interesting - I got a lot of practice putting in catheters, drawing blood, monitoring anesthesia, and intubating animals.  The clinic I was at did probably 95% wellness care and dental cleanings.  It's an interesting business concept: pre-charging customers a monthly fee, and then bundling together a couple wellness appointments, yearly blood work and dental cleanings.  I could see how it would promote better compliance with some things, since clients have already paid for the services.  It's interesting.

Next week I start my 2-week emergency rotation.  I am so freaking excited for it.  Not only do I get to sleep in for 2 weeks (which after being constantly sleep deprived, I am so looking forward to), but I'm sure I'm going to see a ton of amazing cases.

The first two blocks I did this year, I had all the same rotations as two of my good friends in our class.  We got separated for the last 2 blocks.  One of the things I've been loving about this block is getting to spend time with classmates that I wouldn't have otherwise, and just getting to know them.  I have some pretty fantastic classmates.

Other than that, my life has been pretty uneventful for the past 2 weeks.  I did order a used kindle off of ebay to replace mine, which got broken at some point during large animal block.  The ebay listing said it would be reset and ready to attach to my amazon account - I figured it'd be blank.  Imagine my surprise when I turn it on, and find 200+ books on it.  My thought process went kind of like this: "Yay, more books, you can never have enough books!  I don't recognize any of these authors, maybe I'll find something new that I wouldn't have found otherwise.  Oh, wait, these are all romance novels.  Some of them are umm... more erotica than romance novels.  Wait, here's a zombie book.  I'll see what it's about.  They make zombie erotica? Stupid unreadable free books."  Good times.

On a note completely unrelated to vet school rotations, or zombie erotica, if you have time to listen to an hour-long podcast, this is really interesting.  http://majority.fm/2013/01/30/will-potter-targeting-eco-activists/

No comments:

Post a Comment