Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Big evil test of doom today

I've been taking midterms all week. They're all really rough - Monday's test was almost 1/2 inch thick! Anyway, today's our practical exam for anatomy, histology, parasitology, microbiology, pathology and behavior. I kind of feel like today's exam is where everybody is like "haha, we didn't actually think you were smart enough to be a vet! Joke's on you!" I leave for class in an hour, and I'm reviewing some last minute stuff until then, but there's this sense of impending doom that I can't shake.



___________________

(Saturday) This is added after the fact. I'm just editing this post for chronologic continuity.

When I got home from the test mentioned above, a neighbor came over and knocked on the door. I heard something about "your wife's a vet student right?" and "the babies." I threw shoes on, and went outside. She explained that her next door neighbors had found 3 little kittens in the alley behind their house, and didn't know what to do with them. They look like they're about 6 weeks old, so I explained that they could most likely eat solid food, not the cow's milk they were trying to feed them. They told me they couldn't take care of them, so I got suckered into taking them and locking them in my computer room, thinking I'd drop them off at the humane society after my midterms.

Friday after my last test I drove them to the humane society, where I was informed that they'd be immediately euthanized, because they were under 2 pounds. So I asked the lady in receiving if I could foster them until they were two pounds, so they'd at least have a chance. She told me that'd be for the best, while trying to make ME feel bad for bringing them in, and for not trying to stick the neigbor kids who found them with the responsibility of the kittens. I believe her words were "they were probably their kittens, and they have you pegged for a sucker. You should make them deal with them." I was pretty pissed at this point. I not only feel like I was manipulated into fostering them, but also made to feel bad because I was looking out for the kittens' best interest, instead of making other people "take responsibility" for cats that probably weren't even theirs. Our humane society really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

So we got home with the box o' kittens in tow, and were sitting out front, when another neighbor kid walked in front of our house holding a little grey kitten that matched the 3 we had. We asked him about it, and he told us that they'd found it and couldn't keep it, but didn't want to leave it out on the street. I offered to re-unite the little guy with the rest of his litter.

Anyway, that puts us at Mamma cat + 5 kittens (one died - I don't remember if I mentioned that on the blog or just on facebook), 4 stray 6-ish week old kittens, and our three cats. I am completely overwhelmed with the sheer number of animals in my house, and having 2 seperate quarentine rooms, and I have no idea how I'm going to find homes for all of them. I'm a bit leary at this point of bringing them to the humane society.

This neighborhood has too many strays, and I'm too much of a softie to ignore all of them, but I'm too much of a broke student to be able to keep this up. I don't really know what to do at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment