Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving

Yesterday was amazing. Unlike quite a few of my luckier classmates, I didn't get to go home for Thanksgiving. Instead, I decided to cook a thanksgiving dinner for Tyler and I. I've been pretty busy with classes, and I really haven't been able to really cook all semester. I've pretty much just thrown things together that take under 20 minutes. Actually getting to cook and bake was awesome. And I think this is the first Thanksgiving in the 9 years Tyler and I have been together that we haven't had to deal with guilt trips and hauling ourselves all over town, effictively ruining the holiday. As an aside - have you noticed that the people who lay the heaviest guilt trips, and are the most manipulative and vocal about wanting to see you are the people you least want to spend time with?

I decided to make a couple interesting recipes that I found online, combined with replicating a couple of Tyler's grandma's recipes, and my Mom's pumpkin pie. What we ended up with:



A brined turkey which was then wrapped in bacon before being roasted. (Juciest turkey I have ever had in my life!)




Sausage stuffing
Mashed potatoes
Asparagus cassarole
Rolls
Some bizarre 'Nilla wafer pineapple dessert thing his grandma always makes
Caramel apple pie
Turtle cheesecake
Pumpkin pie





Since our dining table and chairs didn't fit in our moving pod, and we haven't replaced them yet, Tyler set the coffee table (I know, how classy, right?) and we dug in. There was only one casualty in the food department - I took a bite of the pumpkin pie, and immediately realized that I had forgot to put the sugar into it. Unsweetened pumpkin pie is nasty. However, I had opened a big can of pumpkin and froze what wasn't used in the pie, so I might have to re-make it with ALL the ingredients this time. And even though the pumkin pie sucked, the apple pie was probably the most amazing thing ever. I don't eat cheesecake, but Tyler said that the turtle cheesecake was amazing.

However, we're going to be eating leftovers for the foreseeable future. The smallest turkey I could find was 14 pounds - for only the two of us.

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving everybody, and try not to get trampled in the Black Friday craziness!

No comments:

Post a Comment