Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Nebraska

There's only 3 days left in Nebraska, and I realized I haven't updated recently.  For those who are curious, here's how the rotation's been working:

We rotate between classes, and scheduled field activities like practicing physical exams, blood draws, etc.  In between those, groups of us get pulled to go on calls and see sick or injured animals.  Since some cattle are calving, many groups have gotten to help deliver calves, or deal with the complications arising from delivery.  We also rotate between our groups doing necropsies, which has been an amazing experience (even though today we had a last-minute necropsy that was rank enough to overpower my gag reflex.)

Last week there was a field trip to a swine slaughterhouse/packing plant, and I was fully expecting it to be a rather traumatic experience, but I was pleasantly surprised at how little stress the pigs seemed to experience before, and how little they suffered during the actual slaughter procedure.  It's still not impressive enough to make me break my ban on eating pork, but it made me feel a little better about those that do.

In "town," about 5 miles away, there's a small bar run by the local legion hall.  They're willing to pick us up and drop us off at the end of the night, so we've been able to get away from the dorms and play a few games of pool, and chat up the locals.

Sooo, yeah, that's about it for this rotation.  Mix in some studying and finishing assignments, and getting to bond with classmates, and it's been pretty spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment