Friday, August 10, 2012

Thinking a year in advance

One of the things we learned this week was that we have to pick the specialties we want to visit in 4th year ASAP.  We have to pick the location of core internal medicine and core surgery from a list, then we have to pick 8 other subjects, only 6 which we'll actually get to visit, to make up our remaining 4th year rotations.

It's really hard to feel like everything's covered in just 6/8 rotations.  Especially when you don't know exactly what you want to do with your life.  If I didn't have to worry about money, I would probably just work in a zoo, or just do wildlife rehab, or work on curing white nose syndrome in bats.  But since my education is putting me 300k in the hole, and I need to pay that off somehow, while not having to eat nothing but ramen, I'm eyeing small animal practice.  Emergency work sounds amazing, frantic, and has the perk of lining up with my natural circadian rhythm.  Small animal/exotics sounds like a decent compromise, especially if I could buy Dr. G's practice from her, and still get to do a decent amount of wildlife rehab and exotics.  But when we have to pick 6 rotations + 2 alternates, I just feel like one side or the other is going to suffer.  I ended up choosing the following 8: radiology, dentistry, surgery, anesthesia, emergency, zoo, wildlife and exotics.  2 of those won't happen, and I'm a little panicked that cardiology, dermatology and neuro aren't on that list, but I'm not willing to sacrifice my wildlife/exotics spots for them.  Eek!  I suppose that's why people choose to do internships, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to give up that extra year.  Too many things to worry about, but I have my list turned in and signed, so there's no going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment